Playing Doctor




Initial Visit?

Friday, January 27

Soothe

I get home and shed my scrubs as I walk in the door, as I do at the end of every day. I remove my socks and hold the pile against my side walking to the bathroom in my boxers. I throw the contaminated clothes in the laundry bin, toss the boxers in too, turn the shower on and climb under its stream.

After the initial layer of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Stenotrophomonas maltophila has hopefully been rinsed from by body and gone down the drain, I flip the lever and begin filling the tub. I lay myself down and allow the water, warm and calming, to slowly fill around me. I close my eyes, trying not to think of the patients I’ve seen today.

Inhale. Exhale.

In the tub, with the water running, I fall asleep…

2 Comments:

1/29/2006
Blogger dan writes:

I don't like thinking of antibiotic resistent bacteria or its ability to coat one's body by reproducing itself every nine minutes. Please never mention it again.

Did you know that if left unfettered, a single bacterium could "theoretically reproduce more offspring in two days than there are protons in the universe"? It's true cuz I read it on the internet.

 


10/31/2006
Anonymous Anonymous writes:

You just mentioned my 2 greatest fears: methicillin resistant staph aureus and Pseodomonas aeruginosa. Gross.
Stenotrophomonas maltophilia?? That's a new one to me...another germ to fear.

 


Post a Comment

Home

Medical Records

Season Three

Season Two

Season One