Playing Doctor




Initial Visit?

Monday, January 17

Regulators and Bureaucrats!

I received this e-mail recently:

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even maybe the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets.

As children, we would ride in cars without seatbelts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing. We were fit and trim because we exercised outside all the time!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. No cell phones.
(I removed the all-capital letters and the five exclamation points from the last sentence)

We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. There were accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember accidents?

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade.

Tests were not adjusted for any reason.
Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.
And you're one of them! Congratulations!

People under 30 are WIMPS!


I'll add two more to this list:

Women would smoke and drink, even while pregnant. If they lost a baby, they tried again. If it came out retarded, they put it in a home and visited it on alternate Saturdays.

If you were in an accident or sick, and showed up to an emergency room and didn't have insurance, they turned you away! If you didn't plan ahead by buying insurance, well, "Consequences were expected."

I have an idea. Let's hear from some of you survivors out there this week.

Post about your survival experiences!


7 Comments:

1/17/2005
Blogger tsokolove writes:

Okay, I'm, like, two years old and off and rolling in my baby walker (those crazy round plastic things with wheels). Somehow I escape the watchfull eye of my mom and make my way to the basement staircase. I take one step and then tumble my way down to the base of the stairs where, legend has it, I escape bruise-free and completely fine. My mom's nerves have never been the same. No lawsuits ensued from the chaos.

 


1/18/2005
Anonymous Anonymous writes:

I suggest that the writer revisit the glory days by moving to Mexico -- the life expectancy there should be gratifyingly low.

 


1/20/2005
Anonymous Anonymous writes:

I’m a survivor!
In the mid seventies my dad was driving my brother and me around the countryside in the back of the pickup. A deer ran out in the road and when we hit it, I slammed into the back of the cab, but my brother-the wimp-didn’t keep his grip and flew onto the road. The force broke his-wimpy-neck.
I’m a survivor! Woo Hoo!

 


1/20/2005
Anonymous Anonymous writes:

I am 16 years old. 2 years ago I was coming home from school and this crazy scary freak started following me. I ran into the woods and used my cellphone to call 911. when the cops came, I ran out and one of them gave me a ride home.

Sorry to be polluting your gene pool, you arrogent fuck.

 


1/24/2005
Anonymous Anonymous writes:

arrogent fuck..............wow you are classy! There should also be something about respect! I would have gotten the belt if I would said that to anyone.

S

 


1/24/2005
Anonymous Anonymous writes:

Back when they didn't have childproof caps on medicine bottles, my sister got into a bottle of childrens aspirin. ate the whole thing.
Before that happened, I didn't know that you could go deaf from aspirin overdoses. My sister can read your blog, even if she is still cant hear.
Does she count as a survivor?

 


1/26/2005
Blogger Okapi writes:

Back then, if you were stupid enough to get pregnant, your family would send you away so the scandal didn't get out, then force you to have the kid adopted. After all, who'd want choice? Bring back small-minded thinking! Before we completely run out of risk takers and problem solvers.

 


Post a Comment

Home

Medical Records

Season Three

Season Two

Season One